HP Printer setup| Install Guide
Whether you want HP Printer setup for the first time or it’s the reinstall process that you are looking for- the guide has all.
From wired HP printer setup to wireless installation, we have included each and every process in this guide.
In case, you want the solution for printer setup errors, refer HP Printer Setup Troubleshooting.
Tips to setup HP printer on Windows/ Mac OS
Before you head towards the installation steps of HP printer, it’s important to make certain preparations.
Else, there are great chances of getting trapped in some types of error relating to HP printer during setup. These include:
- Update Windows or Mac OS to maintain the compatibility between printer software and device OS.
- Look for Printer drivers compatible to your device so, the latter can easily identify the HP printer.
- While you unpack the printer device for the first time, be cautious! As, the box also contains the cartridges, which need to be assembled later.
- Next, place the printer away from radio frequency emitting devices like microwave oven, cordless phones, Bluetooth speakers, etc.
- Disable any proxy server or VPNs enabled on device as, they may conflict with the original network on device. Thus, causing confusion for the printer while it tries to connect.
- If it’s the wired HP printer setup, check the cables, ports, and all other connections on the device.
If you find worn out cables, damaged ports, or loose connections then- make the changes accordingly.
Once, you are all set- it’s time to begin with the HP wireless printer setup.
HP printer setup for First Time Users
For first-time HP printer installation, you need to unpack the device, assemble it, connect the power cord, and finally configure HP printer settings.
Want detailed solution?- Then, check out the HP printer install below:
Note: The steps herein apply for both-Windows and Mac device.
Step 1: Unpack HP printer from box
- After you remove the printer from box, make sure that all the tapes and packing material are removed from the printer.
Note: Make sure you take out all the hardware and manuals inside the box before throwing it for recycling.
- Next, open the output tray of printer and lower the ink cartridge door inside to open it.
- You may find some packaging material inside the machine as well. So, REMOVE IT.
Step 2: Connect the Power cord
- Pick-up only the power cord of HP printer and connect it at rear-end of the machine.
- Next, plug the other end of the cable inside the electric outlet and press the power button on device.
- Now, wait for the carriage to come in the printer’s center.
Note: Do not touch the device unless your printer gets in idle state.
Important: Do not attach the USB cable now!
Step 3: Install Cartridges in HP printer
Before you setup ink cartridges in the printer machine, make sure to insert the color ink cartridges in left and black-ink cartridges in the right side. Now, to begin with this process:
- First of all, unpack one ink cartridge and hold it from the black plastic area.
- Secondly, remove the plastic tape on the cartridge and insert it inside the slot.
Note: Make sure to gently push the ink cartridge inside the HP machine unless it snaps properly.
Step 4: Load Paper in printer’s input tray
The process may seem simple but you need to be cautious else, you may end up getting in another trouble. Therefore, we suggest reading the below steps for continuing with smooth HP wireless printer setup:
- Open the input tray and shift the paper width to left.
- Next, place a stack of A4, U.S. letter, or plain white paper in the tray.
- Then, slide the paper width again to the right unless it touches the sides of the paper stack.
- Lastly, lower the output tray and if needed- extend it for the paper to reset after coming out from the HP printer.
After you complete the hardware setup of HP printer, it’s time to complete the software installation.
Want to know its steps? – Then, stay tuned and find the relevant software solution for HP printer setup.
In case, your HP printer installation fails
Contact Printer Support @ 855-703-2202
USB Printer Setup (Software Installation- Windows and Mac)
Now, for the USB printer setup- you need to connect your Printer with the device using right cable.
After the hardware setup completes as stated above, it’s time for the printer software installation.
Troubleshooting steps for Windows users:
Whether you are adding a new printer or reinstalling an old one- the following steps will be helpful to all.
Step 1: Check the System requirements
Before you begin Installing HP wireless printer software, it’s vital to check for the following requirements:
- Proper USB connection with HP printer and your device like computer.
- USB cable less than 3 meters.
- Printer machine is ON and in ready state.
Step 2: Remove HP printer if cable connected prior to Driver Installation
If the HP printer drivers are already installed and updated then, go to Step 3. Else, continue with the steps below:
- Remove the USB cable connected to computer and do not connect it unless asked.
- Now, open Control Panel-> Devices and Printers window from Windows Start menu.
- Next, right-click on printer icon and select Remove device option.
- Note: if there are multiple icons on the list, remove them all one-by-one.
- Close the window and download HP printer drivers from a reliable source by typing in your printer model, device operating system and its version.
Step 3: Install HP printer drivers
- Navigate to Driver heading and tap on Basic drivers or Download button to begin the process.
- At the time of HP printer software installation, now- choose USB connection to complete the HP printer drivers installed.
If your HP printer still refuses to print then, see the steps to resolve HP printer not printing error.
Steps for Mac users:
The requirements would be same as for Windows users. You may confirm the specs from following lists:
- USB cable of not more than 3 meters.
- Working Printer machine in ready state.
Now, complete your HP printer software setup with these 6 steps ahead:
- First and foremost, remove the USB cable connected to Mac device.
- Go to HP printer driver webpage and type the printer model, operating system that you are using (in the respective field).
- Next, click on Download button under Driver-product Installation Software section.
- Click on HP .dmg file in download folder and begin the drivers’ installation.
- Choose your OS type and if asked, add your HP printer in queue.
- Finally, return to HP installer for the process to complete.
HP wireless printer setup
To install HP wireless printer, all you need is Internet, a Windows/Mac Device, and a working HP printer.
Now, to connect the printer on a network with the Windows device:
- Firstly, make sure that both printer and the device are connected to each other using a USB cable.
Note: This is required to setup printer over the wireless network.
- Next, type the correct network name and password- when prompted.
- Now, navigate to HP software and driver downloads section-> type your printer name and hit ENTER.
- Tap on download and install button (when displayed) to complete the HP printer setup on wireless network.
- Restart your device to apply the printer settings and finish the install.
For HP printer installation issue still not resolving, refer HP printer Network Troubleshooting section for more guides and solutions.
Following are the steps for HP printer setup on Mac device:
- Connect your Mac device with printer using a USB cable.
- Update your printer's firmware and go to Apple menu on Mac desktop.
- Then, under System & Preferences section, tap on Print and Fax icon-> name of your HP printer-> and then, on Options and Supplies.
- Next, under utility window, click on 'Open Printer Utility'-> ‘HTML Config’ button to open the advanced HP printer settings window.
- If prompted, provide the username and password for HP printer settings login.
- Under Networking tab-> go to Wireless option-> 802.22 b/g/n -> and then, tap on Enabled.
- Now, tap on your Current network name and type the network password to enter the name in list.
- Later, disconnect the USB cable from rear-end of printer and tap on Add printer option to complete the process.
In case, you find the printer status offline, learn to fix and turn offline HP printer online.
Need more help for setup HP wireless printer?
Call Printer experts @ 855-703-2202
Frequently Asked Questions
How to connect HP printer to Computer / Laptop?
See this list of highly reported questions about HP printer setup along with their answers.
My printer is not found even after USB setup- What shall I do?
You need the following given troubleshooting steps to avoid USB connectivity issues:
- First of all, reboot both-Windows/ Mac device and computer.
- Then, reconnect the cables to connect HP printer with computer.
- In case, the problem persists, try using different USB port.
- You may also try connecting the cable directly to computer, if using dock or USB hub connection.
- Also, make sure that apart from the Printer USB no other cable or USB is connected to the device.
Can I connect the USB cable without installing the HP printer driver?
Yes, you can! But in certain cases, the print job action fails.
If you are into the same situation then, unplug the USB and remove any Printer icon from its settings window. Next, re-install printer drivers from a reliable source. Finally, you may reconnect the USB cable to printer and perform further steps for HP printer installation.
What type of HP software and print driver can be downloaded?
You may download any type of print driver available on website. However, please make sure that the driver you download must be compatible with your computer and most importantly, HP printer. The list includes Full feature HP driver, Basic driver, Plug and plays driver, Host based driver, PostScript driver, and PCL6 USB driver.
What to do-if the HP printer installation failed or the printer software is unavailable?
If you are unable to complete HP printer setup process then, following are the recommendations for you:
- Ensure that your device OS is upgraded.
- Also, make sure that HP printer drivers are available on the device, where you are configuring HP printer.
- Next, check that your Windows or Mac device connected to printer has good Internet connection.
- You may try using Airprint as well.
For any printer offline error call our support team