HP printer not connecting to wifi | Troubleshooting
HP printer not connecting to wifi and HP printer keep losing wifi connection are two separate issues.
If you are dealing with HP printer won't connect to computer over wireless network error, find the solution ahead in this guide.
In case, your printer cannot stay connected on network then, see how to fix HP printer keep disconnecting from wifi network.
Summary of 'HP printer not joining Network' Guide?
As, you go through the post you’ll find:
- General steps to connect HP printer to a new wifi router that helps follow the right path and avoid any error message code to pop-up on screen.
- Process to follow before troubleshooting each scenario of ‘HP Printer not connecting to computer or wifi’ so, the fixes can be executed without any further flaws.
- Solution to HP printer not recognizing wifi on home network but connects to iPad hotspot or printer prints on network from all devices except laptop
- Resolution for brand new printer won’t stay connected to Internet error
- Troubleshoot HP printer wifi not connecting over Android, iOS phone
- Solve error:- Bought new router and HP printer no longer connects to wifi
- Resolve Phone not connecting to printer wifi direct
- Frequently Asked Questions
Hope, you can relate your HP printer not connecting to wifi problem with one of the circumstances stated above.
Now, let’s get started and find a detailed solution to each one of them.
Note: In case, you can’t relate to any of these troubles above then, apply the resolution as given under each error unless your problem is fixed.
How to connect HP printer to Wifi? –Find here!
Before you connect your HP Deskjet, LaserJet, Scanjet, or any other printer to Internet, make sure it is setup properly.
If you need help to setup your HP printer on any device like computer, laptop, or Smartphone, see HP printer setup Guide (recommended)! Otherwise, you will keep getting HP printer not connecting to wifi error messages.
Once you are done installing HP printer, it’s time to connect it over the network.
There are majorly four ways to connect an HP printer to a wireless network using Wi-fi. These are: Auto Wireless connect, WPS, Wireless Setup Wizard(Display) and USB setup of wireless (No display).
To find more these methods, keep reading!
Method 1: WPS (Wif-Fi Protected Setup)
Before you start with this printer connecting wifi process, make sure you have:
- Wireless printer supporting WPS push button mode
- Router with WPS button
- Wireless network using WPA or WPA 2 password
Note: However, you don't need computer.
NOW, the steps to setup printer-Internet connection are as follows:
- Type router’s default gateway address in the URL field of browser window and login router settings.
- Under Advanced tab, go to Wireless Settings and scroll down to security options.
- Choose WPA or WPA 2 network security option and logout the session.
- Now, locate and press the Wireless button on HP printer for 3 seconds unless the LED starts blinking.
- Next, press and hold the WPS button on router unless WPS light starts flashing.
Important: In step 5, wait unless router-printer setup process completes.
6. If there is no wireless button on printer then, go to HP printer's Control panel menu and touch Wi-Fi protected setup-> Push button-> Start button.
7. Afterward, you can install HP printer's software on laptop, mobile, desktop, or computer and begin PRINTING!
Still- HP printer not connecting to Internet? Check other 3 methods in guide: How to connect HP printer to wifi for the successful setup.
Still HP Printer cannot access Wifi? - Know where to start
When HP printer no longer connects to wifi, here’re some essential steps to execute before troubleshooting:
- Turn off the printer from power button at top and disconnect the power cords from rear-end.
- Remove the printer’s power cord connected to router.
- Turn off your device like computer, laptop, or mobile.
- Also, Power Cycle your wireless router.
- After 30 seconds or when the router is fully ready, reconnect the power cords.
- Later, turn on your device like computer and after it loads completely, connects the power cord to printer.
Check for HP printer paper jam trouble, if the device doesn't start properly.
Note: Steps 1 to 6 help remove all previous printing jobs hindering the printer-wifi connection.
- Also, ensure your HP printer and device like computer are connected on the same network.
- Keep the printer machine 5 feet away from the router for better printer connectivity.
- Make sure no radio waves emitting device like microwave, wireless phones, Bluetooth speakers, or wireless alarm are kept near the printer, or vice versa.
- Other than this, disable firewall or any other security software that won't allow printer to connect with wifi.
- Most importantly, check and update printer’s driver from the reliable source.
- Finally, ensure the printer’s drivers that you are installing or updating are compatible with your HP DeskJet or LaserJet machine.
Now, try connecting HP printer to internet.
If wifi connection problem on printer HP still persists then, it’s time for you to troubleshoot the error using some hard steps.
Want to reconnect my wireless printer on wifi network?
Printer professionals are always available @855-703-2202 for help
Solutions for HP printer not connecting to wifi
By now, you must have known- HP Inkjet, DeskJet, or LaserJet Printer not connecting to WIFI error has many forms.
Moreover, it can occur while you try connecting router's network to computer, mobile, or any other device stated below:
- HP DeskJet 2635 cannot connect printer to wifi
- Can’t connect my HP DeskJet 3636 to Wifi
- HP LaserJet Pro M12w Wi-Fi connection problem
- Can't get 3630 printer to connect to wifi network
- HP DeskJet 3636 cannot access Wi-Fi
- DeskJet 3632 not connecting to wireless network
- HP Envy 4500 Not Connecting to WiFi Suddenly
- Problems getting HP2620 to connect to Wifi network
- HP DeskJet 3752 unable to connect to Wifi network
- DeskJet 2548 air printer will not connect to WiFi
- HP DeskJet 3512 will not stay connected to wifi network
- Problem getting HP2620 to connect to Wifi Network
- HP Envy 5530 will no longer log into home wifi
- Unable to connect your HP ENVY Photo 7100 through wifi-Direct.
If you have any of the above problems or HP printer, stay tuned to find the solution.
Problem 1: HP Printer recognizes only one network
To better understand HP printer won't connect to Internet issue, let’s consider a situation faced by an HP printer’s user:
‘I have an iPad that runs on Network 1 and my HP DeskJet printer can connect easily over the iPad using its hotspot network. However, when I try to connect the same printer with a home wi-fi, the printer machine, doesn’t even detect the network name.’
Why does this happen? – Most likely, if there’s no printer software installed on device, your wireless printer won't connect to wifi router.
When the installed printer software is corrupt, your HP printer won't connect to wifi.
Solution: In any such HP printer- wifi connectivity error, here’s what you must do:
- Compare and meet the following requirements so, printer joins router's network:
- Connect computer to wireless network (that is troubling)
- Keep an access to broadband Internet such as DSL
- Turn on the computer and network you are trying to connect.
- Keep computer on same wireless network to which you are trying to connect HP printer.
- Place your computer close to the printing machine and router while you are troubleshooting the wifi connectivity error.
If your Printer will not connect to wireless network,
Contact Printer Offline Support team @855-703-2202 for fix
After you complete above 4 steps, it’s time to execute the following troubleshooting in line:
- Disconnect all USB cables connected between printer and computer.
- Download HP Easy Start software and install on PC or Mac computer to connect over network.
- When the software prompts to choose printer icon from the opened window, tap on ‘My Printer is not shown’ button.
- Then, tap on Continue button and select ‘Wireless network (recommended)’.
- Finally, tap on Continue to complete the process.
Note: If you still have trouble connecting HP printer to wireless network, provide all printer’s information manually. And, download the complete software package for your device.
Problem 2: Brand new HP printer not connecting to wifi
Check for the following signs to confirm it's the network connection error with new HP printer:
- When you start the printer machine, if no error message displays on printer screen- check your connected device. In case, the computer also says HP printer not connected, it implies there's network error.
- If HP printer is in sleep mode and doesn’t respond to wake up instructions, check your printer. In case, it won't print-that means the HP printer is not on the wireless network.
- Other than this, your printer will not print saying that I am not on the wireless network, if blue light flashes on printer but not blinking.
- Sometimes, printer wakes up after restart only- this also reflects your HP printer is unable to remain connected on Internet.
- Frequent change in printer's IP address also points toward wifi connectivity error.
Can't relate to any of the HP printer error signs above? Then, refer the post: Troubleshoot Hp printer error 79 | Updated 2019 for the fix.
Why won't HP printer connect to wireless router?- Bad printer setup, outdated network drivers, no printer software, dynamic IP assigned, or incompatible router settings are some of the most common reasons for Internet issue.
Solution: To troubleshoot all the above reasons and connect newly purchased HP printer to Internet, here’s what you must do:
- Go to Control Panel of HP printer and select Setup option.
- Then, press the right-arrow button to choose Network Setup option on the printer's screen.
- Navigate to Print Network Settings and press OK button to get the printer's IP address, default gateway, and subnet mask.
Now, after you have the printer's IP address, let us set a static IP address:
- Connect your computer or mobile to Internet and open any web browser window.
- Type in URL field of browser window, type printer's IP address.
- Next, login printer settings with valid credentials and you'll see HP Control panel.
- Tap on Networking tab->Wired option under Connections section.
- In the next step, select Manual IP radio button and type all the values retrieved in step 3.
When HP printer not connecting to Wifi,
Contact Printer Support @855-703-2202 for solution
Note: If HP printer connects to Internet but doesn't print anything, see HP Printer no longer responding to print requests | Not printing guide.
Alternative steps to resolve error: HP printer not connecting to router's network
- Firstly, disable 'Sleep/Auto-Off/Energy-saving mode' & 'System mode time out is set to zero' when HP envy no longer connected to Internet.
- Secondly, disable IPv6 network, if HP printer supports it.
- Also, ensure static IP address is assigned in field of Preferred DNS Server and Alternate DNS server.
Note: If you find no value OR the IP address in server is set as Automatic then, allot static IPs to server.
- Next, set your wireless printer only on 2.4 GHz network as, HP printer doesn’t work on 5.0 GHz network band.
- Update HP printer's firmware from printer's Control Panel to keep printer connected to wifi.
Problem 3: HP Printer not connecting to wifi over Phone
When HP printer shuts down from wifi connection over Android or iOS phone, attempt the following steps:
Steps to connect HP Printer over wireless home or business network using HP Smart
Before you connect HP printer to wifi over the phone using HP smart it’s vital to have following things:
- An iPad or iPhone connected to wifi
- HP printer that you want to connect with same Wifi
- Router with active and working Internet connection
- Wifi network password or key
Now to get the wifi connected to your HP printer:
- First and foremost, open a browser window on your iPhone and type 123.hp.com in the URL field.
- Click on 'Get the App' button and follow all on-screen instructions to complete the HP Smart software installation.
- Next, make sure the printer is in Setup mode so; it can be detected by HP Smart.
Note: The printer gets in Setup mode for 2 hours, after you turn on the printer for first time.
- In case, it's been more than 2 hours OR you are unsure of activated HP printer Setup mode then, reset HP printer network settings.
- Afterward, go to printer's LCD screen and choose Wireless Setup Wizard from Settings to connect the HP printer on network.
Note: If your printer has no LCD screen, check other ways to connect HP printer to wifi.
Still HP printer not connecting to wifi? Keep reading for answer!
What to do after printer is in Setup mode?
Here are your steps to follow:
- Go to HP smart software again and tap on plus sign.
- Select your printer name from the list of networks.
- If you can't see printer on list, click on Add new printer button and add the device in list.
- Next, open phone Settings and tap on WiFi list of networks.
- Choose the network in list that starts with your HP Setup name and ends with printer model number.
- Click on the notification message from HP Smart that states you are connected and enter the app again.
- Verify the network name on page and type the WiFi password in prompted field.
Note: You may click on Change Network link, if the network selected is incorrect.
- Lastly, connect your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone to original network and tap on Continue button in HP Smart app.
Troubled by HP printer not connecting to Wifi issue?
Call Printer experts @855-703-2202 for troubleshooting!
Problem 4: HP Printer no Connection after router or Wifi settings change
If your HP printer won't connect to new wifi or router, the problem can occur either because of:
- Printer not recognizing the Network, or
- Router not configured properly
Thus, you must find out the real cause first!
In case, you are unable to find the reason, no worries!
Simply, perform each step as given (in sequence) and resolve your issue:
- Restart HP printer, router, and computer/mobile that you are using for printing purpose.
- After the reboot process completes for all three devices, install HP printer software again to build network connection bridge.
During HP printer setup, if printer machine is found, the issue gets resolved.
- However, if you can't see the printer name on list, then see how to resolve HP printer offline
For HP printer still not connecting to wifi, apply the following solutions:
Connecting HP printer that has LCD:
Note: The steps are helpful even when HP printer has no internet connection.
- Press the Wireless icon on your printer and touch the Setup option on LCD screen.
- Next, scroll down to choose Restore network settings option and click YES.
- After you get the default network settings, touch the Wireless Networks and tap on Wireless setup wizard.
- Search for the available networks and click on your network SSID to connect with printer.
If you can’t find your network name on the list, enter it manually.
Join wifi network to HP printer that has no touch Control Panel
- If your router and printer have WPS button, go for WPS process to connect HP printer to wifi.
- However, if your router doesn’t have WPS button then, try the HP smart App or temporary USB connection for Internet setup.
For detailed steps, refer the section how to connect HP printer to wifi (above).
To fix HP Deskjet cannot connect printer to wifi,
Allow Printer Support team @855-703-2202 to resolve the error
Problem 5: Phone not connecting to printer Wi-Fi direct
To resolve this HP printer not connecting wifi problem, here are your troubleshooting steps:
- Turn ON wifi direct of HP printer and enable network access on Android phone or smart tablets.
- Choose DIRECT-xx-HP [printer model name] from the list of available printers.
- Next, install HP print service plugin on your device.
Note: The wifi direct is like Bluetooth based technology that uses Internet to work at faster speed and greater distances. After you connect to printer's Wi-Fi Direct, there's actually no need of local network or Internet connection.
Don't know the wifi direct name and password of HP printer?
Here is what you should do:
- Open printer's Control panel and touch the Wifi direct icon for the information.
- In case, there is no LCD on printer, press the information button to print a Wifi direct name and password.
If printer still says internet not connected, see Printer offline instructions for Windows 7,8,10, or Mac.
- Else, you can press START and COPY button simultaneously. And, hold the RESUME button for wifi direct name and password print.
- Choose automatic password or Manual option, if prompted.
Note: Manual option will allow for more secure password.
- Now, go to phone settings-> tap on Wifi to turn it ON.
Note: You don't need to connect to the Internet.
- Use share option from HP Print Service Plugin to open the document and tap on Print in-app.
Important: Make sure your HP printer displays as DIRECT-xx-HP [printer model name] on plug-in settings screen.
- If you can't see any such name, try to bring your printer and device close to each other.
- Finally, tap on HP printer icon to join Internet.
Still HP printer not connecting to wifi? Update your phone OS and printer's driver. Genuinely, the solution will help!
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I find the wireless network name and password?
Enter your router login settings and navigate to WEP, WPA, or WPA2 password windows and check for the SSID name and password information. Type the data in prompted field and join printer to network.
Is it possible to change the Printer type after driver installation and update process completes?
Yes, of course! All you have to do is find printer's name in Search results and open HP Printer Assistant window. Later, tap on Tools-> Device Setup & software-> Connect a new device option -> and complete all on-screen instructions to complete it.
Note: Your HP printer won't join your wireless router, if you failed during any of these steps.
How do I change my printer’s Wifi settings without breaking the connection?
For this, you need to enter the printer settings from a browser window of device connected to Internet. You need printer’s IP address to get into the settings. Next, from HP printer’s home screen, choose Wireless option and change the IP address, password, or security option selected.
Note: Make sure the IP address assigned to HP printer is same as that of your connected mobile or computer.
Where can I find the network password for HP printer?
If you have a printer's Control panel, touch HP wireless icon. Navigate to Network Setup and touch Wireless Direct and turn on the connection. Now, for password- choose ON with security.
There, you got the password. Note it down and use to connect HP printer with wifi.
HP printer not connecting to Wifi- Need Help?
Ask Printer Support team @855-703-2202 for immediate assistance