Epson printer not printing error | Troubleshooting
We analyzed 10 highly-reported situations of Epson printer not printing problem. So, a proven and most relevant solution for each scenario can be produced.
First, we tried printing paper but Epson ink was not going on the page.
Then, we looked for all the reasons and most possible ways to get a solution for the error.
And, interestingly-our data reveals that most of these scenarios have a common solution.
Thus, to find both the common and unique solutions for each of the Epson printer printing errors, check out some of the interesting insights.
Here is a Summary of our Epson Printer not printing Guide
- In our analysis of Epson printer not printing black, the ink is ranked #1 reason. Followed by it, ink cartridge failure is #2 popular cause of the issue. But there are ample of other causes which you must check to identify and resolve the issue.
- The colored text or image not printing on paper again relates to causes like ink error or cartridge failure.
- In certain cases, when your printer isn't printing text but displays image in the output or vice-versa, most of the time it's the printer font settings or the Epson printer drivers triggering the problem.
- However, if nothing prints using the Epson printer on the paper then, the error is quite serious as the trouble-makers can originate from both Epson printer's hardware and software.
- Sometimes, the problem of printer not printing continues to persist, despite changing the cartridges. And, most likely it's because your Epson printer software settings aren't able to recognize the new hardware.
- If your Epson printer takes paper inside the machine, make noise as if it's printing but gives blank paper in output-most likely, you'll need to open the printer and check the hardware placement inside the Epson machine.
- Another weird scenario is when you are able to get a smooth and proper print on A4 sheet but with any other paper- the Epson printer won't print. Again the error has its own set of reasons that require separate troubleshooting.
Hope, you have found your Epson printer problem. So, now it’s time to fix it with solutions provided below.
Solution 1: Resolve Epson printer quit printing Black error
Epson printer is majorly used to print black color text. And, there are many users who are getting trouble with printing black color text or image on the paper.
Why does this happen?
If you have been printing papers using Epson machine over a long time then, chances are high that the ink level has reached a threshold point. And, most likely the issue prevails when you continue to ignore the refill ink notification on your device.
In all such cases, you just need to follow these fixes to bypass “Epson printer machine not printing black text” error.
However, with all these above reasons, you cannot ignore the offline status error. To find its signs and fixes on-screen, check Epson printer offline solution.
To begin with other relating troubleshooting:
- Unplug the power cable attached to wall outlet and detach the USB cable. Wait for a while and then, reconnect all the cables with the Epson printer and electric outlet to reboot the Epson machine.
- In the next step, go to Control Panel from Windows Start button>>>>>search Device & Printers>>>>> Right-click on printer icon in opened window>>>> Choose printer properties from pulled down menu>>>> select General tab>>>>>> click on Print Test Page button.
Note: The action will print a report so; you can diagnose quality of print and cartridge running inside the printer.
- If the quality of text printing using Epson printer is below average, again open Devices and printers window>>>>left-click on your Epson printer icon. Now, look at the bottom of Devices and Printers window to check the displayed ink level of your Epson printer.
Important: If you find ink cartridge level at fault then, buy the original Epson inks compatible with your Epson machine model. Refill the cartridge and place it again inside the Epson printer.
Need more help? Then, keep reading further fixes!
- Open printer’s front cover and check the print heads as clogged heads won’t allow black ink to flow through the nozzles. And, to clean the print heads, you may try the following steps in sequence:
- If you cannot see any error on printer's screen then, press the Epson’s machine HOME button.
- From the opened menu list, select SETUP>>> Maintenance>>> Print head Nozzle Check.
You'll get the grids on screen illustrating which one is blocked.
- In case, there no gaps, click DONE otherwise, tap on CLEAN PRINTHEAD button to complete the cleaning cycle.
For more details on print head cleaning, see how to clean print head on Epson printer.
Alternative fix for NO black printing by Epson printer
Other than this, if your Epson printer has two black cartridges: one dye-based and other pigments, here's what you must do:
- Open any browser window and make sure your device is connected to Internet.
- Next, type the printer's IP address in the URL field and login printer screen with verified credentials.
- Now, on printer settings window, select the "Glossy photo paper" as this can make printer start printing black again.
Note: This above process of changing paper type is also known as jump-start of black cartridges.
Solution 2: Printer Epson refuses to print any color like blue, green, etc…
When Epson printer quit printing any color all of a sudden, it implies either:
- You have selected Black color settings in the printer driver
- The settings defined for Epson colored printer are inappropriate.
What to do?
Well, in order to fix these issues- you simply need to abide by the following instructions:
- Go to Windows Start menu>>>open Control Panel>>> search and open Printer & Scanners window.
- Find your Epson printer icon image>>>right-click on it to choose Printer properties from pull-down menu.
- In the next window, uncheck GRAY SCALE settings. In case, your Black/Gray scale settings are already disabled- try the next solution.
- Run printer head cleaning for Epson printer.
During this process, if you find the cartridge is old or low ink then, replace them immediately. Contact any reliable Epson printer retailer for the purchase.
However, if Epson machine prints but the printout color differs, then:
- Most likely you have inaccurate printer driver default settings, OR
- The color tables are different from the product model.
Whatever, be the case- you simply apply the below solutions and get rid of the not printing true color error:
- Open Printer & Scanners window from Control Panel>>>>right-click on your printer icon and select PROPERTIES option.
- Form the opened window, choose Advanced tab>>>>> More settings button.
- On the window, set the GAMMA settings to 1.8 and then, try printing again from Epson printer.
- For Epson colored printing error still persisting, adjust the color with slide bar for each color on the same window.
You may refer the below image to see what does the actual printer settings screen looks like.
In case, the color printout is not exactly what you see on computer screen, then:
- Open Printer properties again. However, this time make sure to remain on Basic tab.
- And, select Advanced Print quality. Generally, you will see the selected printer properties is Automatic.
- Then, choose the most appropriate settings (for the below-defined options on same window) for your file or document that you want to print using Epson printer.
Note: You may even adjust the contrast and brightness of the image color in the printer driver. For its detailed solution, reach Printer experts.
Solution 3: Epson printer will only print images & not words OR vice-versa
After sending a print job to Epson printer, are you getting partial print? By the word partial, we mean:
- Incomplete text or image
- Only image and no words
- No image only text
The YES nodding heads can find the enclosed solutions quite useful.
But, why partial Epson printouts are produced?
Most of the time, it is believed to be the communication-related issue. However, there are many other possible causes that don't allow Epson printing machine to print the documents properly. These include:
- Inappropriate settings of printer driver
- File size is too large to print
- Outdated or corrupt system resources, hard drive, virtual memory, or RAM
- Outdated Windows Spooling system
- Application error
- Corrupt print driver of Epson machine
If you want to check with all the above-stated reasons and troubleshoot the error, check out the solutions below.
However, before you follow the core solution-please check for the following information:
- If the image or text that you are trying to print is quite large then, reduce its size for a small print.
In case, your Epson printer still refuses to print, try the fixes as given below:
- Turn off both the Epson printer and your computer.
- Remove the cable connected to printer and make sure there is enough A4 paper in the front tray of Epson machine.
- Next, press and hold the PAPER/CANCEL button simultaneously with the POWER button to turn on the machine. Once the Epson printer turns ON, release them.
- Print a test page displaying the nozzle check pattern and firmware version of the printer.
- In case, your Epson printer still doesn't agree to print any text, ensure the edges of paper are positioned correctly.
- Other than this, make sure none of the cables connected to printer is more than 1.8 meters. And, all of them are connected properly.
If you are done with these basic fixes and still Epson printer doesn't support printing, then:
- Reset Epson printer immediately to restore all the default settings.
- In case, the error still persists, you should reboot printer spooler with steps as given below:
- From Windows start menu, go to Services window and scroll down to print spooler option.
- Right-click on the Spooler Print to open its properties window.
- Next, tap on STOP button on properties window and chose DISABLE for a while.
- After 2-3 minutes, again enable the same Print spooler and start the service (following the same path).
- If your Epson printer error is too rigid to resolve then, open Device Manager from Start menu>>>>> go down to Printer drivers and right-click to choose Update option.
Solution 4: Epson printing machine not printing anything at all
Does Epson printer not printing anything make you wonder what can be the possible trouble-makers?
In that case- you may start your troubleshooting with the following possible reasons:
#Reason 1: Epson printer not connected properly to computer
Reason 2: Epson printer is not selected as default printer
#Reason 3: Printer port settings do not match with the Connection port
Reason 4: Insufficient memory for printer drivers
Without emphasizing much on the reasons, let's learn how to diagnose and resolve the printing error.
#Fix 1: Resolve printer connection with Computer
Start by checking the cables connected to both printer and computer. If you find them damaged at any point or feel the port connection is loose. Try to replace or create a substitute.
However, if there is no hardware issue with the cable or port, you may try these following fixes:
- Press the power button on top of printer machine and simultaneously, turn off the computer device.
- Now, check the connection built between Epson printer and computer. If none of them is securely plugged into correct terminal then, make possible changes as shown in image below.
- Also, make sure you are using compatible cables to connect computer and printer. You may refer the Epson printer manual to confirm this information.
- Also, ensure there is no other medium between the printer and computer. Simply put, both the devices must be directly connected with each other with no extension or interface cable in-between.
- If you have been Windows NT users then, go to Start menu>>>> Programs>>>> Epson printers>>>> Epson printer port uninstall.
Complete this last step by following on-screen instructions.
After the connection error is troubleshot, turn on the printer device and try to print again.
#Fix 2: Set Epson printer as Default printer
IF you have more than one printer connected to your computer, turn on your other printer machine. And, confirm that the print request isn’t getting executed by the other printing machine.
In case, that's happening then, you need to redefine the default printer of your computer. And, you can do s, by following these steps:
- Open Printers & Scanners from Start menu at bottom-left corner of your computer screen.
- Then, find the Epson printer from the given opened window and right-click to choose SET AS DEFAULT PRINTER.
- Finally, tap on OFF button and restart your printers’ connected to computer.
Most of the time, your Epson printer starts printing!
#Fix 3: Select the printer drivers matching Port
If your Epson printer port is incompatible then, select the right one from the list. And, to reach that list here's what you need to do:
- Go to the Settings windows for Start menu and choose Printers option.
- Search your Epson printer name from the PRINTERS window and right-click to open its properties.
- Then, choose the PORTS tab and find the port for the Epson printer that you are using in the connection process.
#Fix 4: Increase memory Availability
To increase the size of RAM cache in your computer, so the Epson printer can accept and print requests, do this:
- Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE altogether on the keyboard and wait for the task manager option to display on screen.
- Click on TASK MANAGER to open its window and select the services tab.
- Choose all the unnecessary programs running on your computer system from that opened list and tap on END button.
This will close all the unnecessary programs on your device and thus, will help you print any document using Epson printer.
Solution 5: Print was missing even after Ink refill OR changing Ink cartridge
With no more fuss, you need to click on the following link, in case:
Your Epson printer is not printing even after changing ink cartridge. Refer the guide for unique and detailed solution to your printing problem.
Solution 6: Epson printer prints only on A4 sheet
Before you resolve this error, it's important to find-whether your Epson printer supports printing other paper sizes and quality or not!
Note: Refer Epson printer’s manual for the information on paper compatibility.
In case, your Epson printer does support different types of paper, try the next instructions defined below:
- First and foremost, make sure that computer and Epson printer settings are set to the same paper.
For instance, if you wish to print any legitimate paper then, instead of selecting "Print the same file as I formatted", choose the "Legitimate" option on printer settings window.
In simple words, change the format of the document that you want to print and try printing again.
- Other than this, you may follow as said in this path below and troubleshoot your error:
Open Epson printer's website>>>> Go to printer section>>> select the type of Printer you own>>>>tap on OS detected>>>> select DRIVERS>>>install the compatible or both the Epson printer and scanner drivers (based on your device model)>>>>and finally, restart the printing machine.
The solution has proven its worth for more than 78% of Epson printer users. However, if you still feel that the printing machine isn’t letting to print- ask Printer experts for further assistance.
Solution 7: Epson printer sounds like printing but doesn’t print anything
Last but the least, if you hear your Epson printer making sound but doesn't take a paper for printout, most likely:
- You have quite a large number of paper in the input tray than prescribed in the PEson printer manual. OR,
- The print head of your machine is dirty and needs cleaning.
In case, troubleshooting both the reasons does not work, try to replace the ink cartridges (as a last alternative).
But, if you haven't tried any of the above two causes, then- execute their fixes first.
- Pull all the stack of paper placed inside the input tray of Epson printer and align them properly.
- Next, if the stack is too thick then, try to reduce the count of papers to be placed in the Epson printer's input tray.
Once, it's done- it's time to get a little more technical and resolve the issue.
Simply put, use the print head cleaning utility and make your Epson machine print paper.
If you are a Windows user:
- Turn on your Epson printer device and ensure the ink light is OFF.
Note: With ink light ON, you can never clean the print head. So, make sure the light is OFF before the process.
- Next, download and access Epson printer software to open the Head cleaning utility.
- Once you enter the Epson's printer software window, tap on the Utility tab and search to click on the Head Cleaning button.
Note: The Epson power and ink light start flashing as the process of print head cleaning begins.
- After the power light stops blinking, tap on Print Nozzle Check Pattern in Head cleaning dialog box.
This will not only allow the cleaning but also reset the cycle of cleaning.
In case, your Epson printing problem continues to persist, consider replacing the ink cartridges.
However, if the Epson print quality still doesn't improve, contact your dealer for the new purchase.
Still, Epson printer doesn’t printout any text or images?
Reach printer experts for fix @ 855-703-2202